Tuesday 4 August 2009

WOMAD 2009

Ok so I've been back over a week but it isn't the easiest thing to find the time to keep the blog up to date. However on the eve of my next blogworthy event I figured it was time to report back on WOMAD 2009, plus I am avoiding doing actual work so...

After an extremely lovely evening in the not so lovely Cheltenham Spa with my gorgeous friend Archie, Sarah, Oscar and I met up in 'Nam and drove to Charlton park via the supermarket - very important for my frist festival by car as opposed to public transport. This would be our third WOMAD together (my 12th or 13th) but so much has changed for Sarah since we last went we guessed we would probably have a much better time than before.

Highlights of the weekend included camping with Judith and Nigel and their friends and friends of friends, strange smelling cigarettes and dancing to Shlomo. Solomon Burke was one of the headliners and apart from the fact that he had to be wheeled on as he was so obese (I may have been because he was old, but I doubt it) it was a pretty amazing performance from a man who has 90 grandchildren. Peter Gabriel was fab although his set was quite serious as he was campaigning for the charity Witness, so no Sledgehammer, and Biko made sarah and Judith cry.


Sarah and I danced like nutters to Shlomo and laughed so hard we cried - not necessarily at Shlomo more at ourselves due to the influence of aforementioned cigarettes. We also really enjoyed Charlie Winston and Deaf Shepherd on the Sunday although the fact that the latter were not allowed to do an encore on the BBC Radio 3 stage did cause me to shout a lot! Down with BBC Radio 3!!!

It was a fantastic weekend, the only thing wrong with it was it only lasted til Monday morning. Roll on 2010.

Both Sarah and I are yet to finish our poetic tributes to 2oo9 but when we do I will post them

No comments:

Post a Comment