Sunday 12 July 2009

Picnic in the (Car) Park

Yesterday it rained. Mile End Park, as I passed by in Nic's car, looked lusher than ever and there was a feeling of expectation in the air - maybe the coming storm, I'm not sure but there was definitely something coming. After a couple of errands we returned to our little block and set about creating our contributions to the house picnic. It was clear at that stage that we were not going to be going to Victoria Park so instead we erected the gazebo in the car park and waited to see if anyone else would turn up. The gazebo is amazing - absolutely massive and even though the instructions said you have to have four people to put it up myself and Nic - as she says one and a half people - managed to do it in a matter of minutes. Although I was convinced that the others wouldn't fancy an afternoon in the rain they proved me wrong and a few hours later there were 10 of us huddled beneath the gazebo as it tipped down. Red wine, beer, home made quiche and pizza, tofu salad, pear loaf, lemon cupcakes, tangy rolls the list goes on. Much alcohol was consumed and we managed to stick it out til about 7pm when we staggered indoors, soggy with drizzle but warm with booze.

I've been reading my friend Colleen's blog http://www.rusinurbis.com/ and in it she talks about walking through Stepney and passing the Ocean estate. Quite rightly she talks about the fact that it has been left to rack and ruin
'Bits of it are run down and waiting improvement, even so, people have made little gardens and grown tomatoes on back balconies. And leave little signs of hope.'
I like to think that she has inadvertently referred to my balcony but need to check with her - either way the idea that those of us who garden on balconies leave signs of hope fills me with warmth.

The picnic in the car park was so important to me because we have, as residents, experienced so many awful things in the past four years that you can feel isolated and a little lost especially if, like me, the problems have stopped you from sleeping over long periods of time. I have always felt that life is all about balance. I'm not a religious person but I do believe that balance is key. We have faced some pretty unacceptable things but the pay off is that there are some pretty amazing people living in my block - had I not moved there I would maybe not have had as many bad times but I also would not have met my lovely neighbours. And yesterday re-affirmed how lucky I am to have them

No comments:

Post a Comment